Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thursday, November 23, 2006

-PEG.
-The girls played together with the cranium game. Astrid made up a code for each letter of the alphabet and did a couple of the other activities. Muirgen spent most of the time drawing on her face with the marker and just watching Astrid.
-I read the girls a big stack of story books while I was knitting.
-We talked about how bees communicate with eachother and how they make buzzing noises. The girls found it very fascinating and somewhat hard to believe that they don't communicate by buzzing, but by dancing.
-Muirgen had a nap (she's sick) while Astrid helped me make stuffed mushrooms, scrambled eggs and salad for supper. Astrid is at the place now where she's generally more of a help than a hindrance when she joins me in my activities. The years of encouraging her to "help" before her helping was all that helpful are paying off. Tonight she crumbled the bread for the mushroom stuffing and chopped all the veggies for the salad while I got the other things ready.

2 Comments:

Blogger sqsus said...

I admire your patience. I have a very hard time letting my kids help. The other day, all 3 of them tried to pull up stools to the sink to help with the dishes. I ended up sending all of them out of the kitchen because there is not room for 4 at the sink! I do let them stir, when there's stirring involved, but I've never let them do any chopping. I read the part about Astrid chopping veggies to Ethan, and he wondered if she ever cut her finger. I told him she chops very carefully.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I can see how THREE kids trying to help would be overwhelming. Two is enough! It often seems though, that they don't want to both help at the same time, which is usually good.

Astrid has been chopping veggies for quite some time and has never cut herself. I have not let Muirgen chop yet. I found that when Astrid started a handy little gadget from Pampered Chef really helped. I forget what it's called, but it's basically something with a handle and a bunch of sharp tines that stick into whatever you're chopping. You hold the handle and it keeps your fingers away from the knife, but still allows you to have control over the vegetable. Astrid doesn't use it anymore though. She is quite cautious by nature (more so than Muirgen, which is perhaps why I have never invited Muirgen to try using a knife).

I remember reading the web pages of moms who let their 3 year olds chop vegetables before I had kids and I was appalled!

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home