Monday, September 18, 2006

Monday, September 18, 2006

-Astrid played by herself while Muirgen and I slept in REALLY late. She coloured a couple pages in a colouring book and completed an entire word search all on her own.
-The girls helped me hang up laundry.
-They didn't feel like doing circle time today.
-Walked to the book store. Read a bunch of story books to the girls. Bought three new work books for Astrid.
-Astrid completed the first nine pages in the new math workbook.
-Girls drew pictures.
-Astrid looked at her fairy books for quite a long time.
-Unstructured play (hide and seek, moving day, dress up, bad guys, etc.)
-Girls helped me take down and fold the laundry.
-Nursery rhymes and songs at bedtime.

2 Comments:

Blogger sqsus said...

What kind of workbooks do you get for Astrid? I've found some nice ones at Zehrs and Zellers. They're "School Zone". I bought a bunch at the end of the last school year for half price. $2.50 each. A new dollar store opened up in Stratford, and they had some workbooks that I recognized from when we were young. They were printed in only red, and they had an animal for each number. I decided not to buy one.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hey! I didn't know anyone else actually read this blog!

Astrid has a huge assortment of workbooks. The ones we just bought are all very thick volumes that I picked up at Indigo. They were very expensive. One is called "Beginner Geography and Map Activities". It's full colour, for ages 5-8. It kind of goes beyond what you'd normally classify as a workbook, I suppose. It has all kinds of activities, facts and other stuff in it. The second one is called "Math Made Easy". It's a fairly standard math workbook, black and white pages. The third is called "100 Words Kids Need To Read by 1st Grade". Now I must say, I don't believe there's anything kinds NEED to do by any certain age, but this book has some really good activities to help kids memorize certain "essential" words by sight. I thought this'd be good for Astrid, as she relies so heavily on sounding things out. I thought it'd be good for her to learn that she can memorize the way words look as well as sounding. The activities in the book are fun and it's also full colour pages with photos and everything.

I figured, at one point in time, that I probably wouldn't really use work books as part of our learning, but Astrid loves them and will sit working on them for over an hour at a time, especially if I sit down with her to read the instructions to her. If I don't she just does what she thinks is right, and is actually correct a lot of the time, but she seems to focus even better when I'm with her.

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home